- 4.5 cups of Chex Cereal
- 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- blue sprinkles (optional)
- Add chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter to a small microwave-safe mixing bowl.
- Microwave in 30-second intervals until completely melted. Stir in-between.
- Pour melted chocolate mixture over Chex cereal in a separate bowl.
- Use a spatula to gently stir until all of the Chex is coated in chocolate - avoid smashing the cereal.
- Add powdered sugar and brown sugar into a ziplock bag. Pour in sprinkles.
- Scoop in your chocolate-coated cereal mix into your bag.
- Shake well until the cereal is coated with your sugar mixture.
- Pour your Muddy Buddies out onto foil to let cool.
- Once all the chocolate has cooled on your snack mix, serve.
The messiest part is melting the chocolate and peanut butter mixture to pour over your Chex cereal. The trick is using butter and heating in small intervals to prevent the chocolate from burning in the microwave.
Once your Muddy Buddies have been coated with your sugar mixture and blue sprinkles, you want to lay it out to cool on wax paper or foil.
The Muddy Buddies snack cools rather quickly and is ready to serve for reading time.